Wednesday, February 13, 2008

More Fun with Microscopes



After that last dour and rather text heavy blog, it seemed like it was time for something a bit more iconophilic.



So here is my latest little foray into microscopic imaging. I was experimenting with trying to take photographs through the microscope itself. What I did was I just put the object lens of the camera right into the microscope eye piece. I then used the zoom magification to adjust the image a little bit.



What's interesting to me about these photographs is that they show how objects under microscopic magnification quickly go out of focus. As the photos suggest, I couldn't get the eyes and the body of this insect to both be in focus at the same time. Thus, when I made the drawing, I was constantly scrolling the focus in and out to try to see both, to understand their interconnection.



I didn't use the photographic images as the working tools for the drawing, which they probably would have benefited. Next time!



I also wasn't so sure about the "crotch" of this fly. I kept envisioning this area of its body as covered with armor, complete with a codpiece and so on. I have thus left it relatively unresolved here.

Labels: , ,